Wellness Through Movement® began in January of 2005 when an innovative elementary school, Hawaii Preparatory Academy (HPA), became interested in the neuromuscular component for physical education. Ms. Catherine Rosasco Mitchell, *kinesthesia educator and Feldenkrais Practitioner trained by physicist Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais met with Susie Jones, physical education instructor to develop a program. Together with parents and fellow colleagues at the Wellness Through Movement program was born.
*Kinesthesia: the proprioceptive sensation of perception through the character of movementquality
Team for the Book
Jo Piltz, Catherine Rosasco-Mitchell, Danny Garcia, and John Holland
The book could have never developed without Jo Piltz executive editor and her forty years of teaching. Waimea Writers Group, lead by John Holland, edited lessons weekly for four years, and Principal Danny Garcia bridged the language of the philosophy into school and community culture. Ms. Susie Jones, physical education instructor was the “fun” advisor with lesson plans, WTM Board of Advisors bridge standards in the Department of Education, parents, teachers and school administrators shared specific needs and challenges with children at home and in the classroom. Donna Rohr, drama and movement teacher, was the first to tested out all the lesson plans at Parker Elementary School in Kamuela, Hawaii. Catherine Rosasco-Mitchell is the creator and writer of the program. The three part movement series integrates the Feldenkrais method to improve behavioral patterns of perception through movement. The Part I A New SENSORY Self Awareness , now a book builds the bridge for people who have never experienced somatic awareness, and changes the language of movement from an “exercise” to “life.”
The curriculum’s uses physics, neuroscience research and Feldenkrais Method in sequences of movement to do three things: 1. strengthen, coordinate and align posture 2. Incorporated are integrity and virtues (courage, respect, and trust) and 3. Expand internal awareness and proprioceptive sensation to enthusiasm, self-direction, responsibility, creativity to the environment and social behavior.
Catherine Rosasco Mitchell
Ms. Mitchell has thirty years experience with the most cutting edge scientists and specialists in the fields of child development and sensorimotor functioning including Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais and Anat Banie. Training includes Yoga Ed, Brain Gym, Feldenkrais Method, Social Sciences, and Child Development. The program was tested for thirteen years in elementary schools. Rosasco-Mitchell has presented the international and national conferences on health and movement including the Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) and American Association of Health, Physical Education and Dance (AAPERD), and taught tens of thousands of people ages of 2 days to 97 years of age over the last thirty years.
Complete Bio on link: Biography of Catherine Rosasco Mitchell
Distinctive Competence of Program
Wellness Through Movement method evaluates cognitive functioning by observing movement. Lessons are unique compared to other movement programs because they are life skills developing internal and external attention. Scientifically designed sequences of movements use proprioception to increase self awareness. In other words the feeling of the body is used to understand one’s perception, character and relationship to others.
Lessons are based on behavior of over eighteen senses and motion in developmental movement. Regardless of condition the nature of the nervous wants to learn. So the methodology adapts to the uniqueness of the individual and teaching styles.
Customized movement lessons enhance what is innate in the nature of how the brain and body work as one. By bridging awareness in sensation to attitude, action and alignment the mind clarifies action to intention. The lessons uses dysfunctions as building blocks not barriers to learning.
Understanding how we learn through the quality and character of sensation is understandable only if experienced. Movements give a physical experience of how brain and body function are inseparable. See below about lessons or reference the book A New SENSORY Self Awareness.
- “No Place Like Home” lesson (Part 1 series) uses the virtue of respect and teaches dual attention (internal and external). The sensation of the body is used to clarify direction of attention with “breath” and “sound.” With attention inward not to external relations perception and adaptation shifts. The sense of centering oneself through physical sensation helps children find peace within the storm of conflict.
2. Personal Bubbles Freeze Dance (Part 1 series) creates a “storm” of excitement with big beat music. When the children bump into or touch each other the music freezes and attention is turned from “out there” to inside with the “home breath.” Attention follows the physical vibration of humming “hooooommmmme.” The vibration of the sound gives attention a physical directive into the body. The attention follows the movement vibration of sound and breath into the physical centers of the body, calming both mind/body. More attention is now inside then to the external environment. Children return to the game playing now with “Home” and no one bumps, the music plays on and children are asked what changed?
3. “Panda Bear Bowling I” game (Part II series) integrates a. following directions, b. sensing balance and coordination, and c. inspiring courage and risk taking. The core torso to the pelvis are reeducated to sense of strength and stability . This sensation foundational to the sense of courage explores sense of position, space and timing.
• Does the child demonstrate more patience, calmness and cooperation?
• Does the child resort to the body techniques to calm the mind?
• Does the child feel more balanced emotionally and physically?
• Is the child more innovative in problem solving?
• Have the child’s attention and participation improved?
• Have the child’s test scores and academic performance improved?
Integrations DOE Standards
P.E. and Health
GENERAL LEARNER OUTCOMES IN PROGRAM:
• Expand self awareness for the safety of self and others
• Educate sensory awareness tied to cognition and IQ
• Practice turning attention inward and self inflicted low self esteem perspectives
• Enhance awareness of the minds interal dialogue and where attention focuses with listening skills and communication
• Tools of how to the sensations of physical guidance on problem solving
• Calm tension to decrease violent tendencies
• Develop social character from awareness of self, and self to others
STANDARDS COVERED IN PROGRAM:
▪ Intra and Inter Spatial Awareness (personal and emotional space)
▪ Increased pulmonary capacity and calm nervous system
▪ Basic locomotor skills alone, with a partner and in small groups e.g. hopping, skipping, jumping, running.
▪ Basic non-locomotor skills e.g. twisting, pushing, pulling
▪ Basic movement concepts and control e.g. changes direction, space, time, effort and relationship in traveling
▪ Physical activities e.g. locomotor or chasing and fleeing activities
WELLNESS & HEALTH IN PROGRAM:
o Explore ways of learning through movement: including math, English, and test taking
o Build awareness of the body and how to use the body to calm the brain
o Acquire personal tools to decreased hyperactivity and anxiety
o Fuels curiosity and attention
o Stir innovation and creativity
o Acquire respect and appreciation for uniqueness and differences of self and others
o Expand Self-awareness & improve posture
o Align attitude with physical sensation
o Decrease passion to fit in to “out there” pressures and internal urges for substance abuse
o Identify healthy behaviors and impact on personal health
o Tools to express needs, conditions and wants in healthy ways
MOST IMPORTANTLY FUN INCLUDED!